Sunday, July 3, 2011

Narcissistic?

Cultural Dictionary
narcissism  [( nahr -suh-siz-uhm)]

A consuming self-absorption or self-love; a type of egotism. Narcissists constantly assess their appearance, desires, feelings, and abilities.

I am such a poor blogger.  I recognize several reasons for this, the most potent being laziness and forgetfulness.  I figure that updating facebook is easier and does the job just fine.  Frequently I am surprised to remember that I even have a blog. (Oh, yes! THAT bookmark.  I should really update that soon).
But another looming reason I don't blog is that I worry it will come off as narcissistic.  After all, isn't the blog about me and my thoughts and experiences?  And who am I to think that anyone else wants to read about that?  So I just don't write. 


The silly thing is- I love reading the blogs of other people!  I love reading books about other people's thoughts, feelings, experiences, and dreams!  And furthermore, no one is having this blog pushed upon them like a playwright running around to directors and publishers trying to get noticed.  (Have you seen 'Don't Eat the Daisies"?- great show)

So note to self:
Blog for yourself.  Because you like to write.  You like to look back and see what adventures you wrote about.  You have thoughts and dreams and experiences that would benefit from being hammered out on the screen for further examination.  Be authentic and don't think about who might see it and what just such a viewer might want to see. It isn't for them; it's for you.

Thanks, self.  Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! I ignored my blog for a long time too but now I'm staying up on it better so I can remember all the fun stuff we are doing this summer! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't write for yourself, please keep writing for little ol' me, because I enjoy both your blogs!

    ReplyDelete