Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Favorite Breakfast- and it's HEALTHY!!

I have been eating this nearly every morning for a year now and still look forward to it each morning.  Over the past year I've lost about 15 pounds, and this healthy breakfast has been an energizing start to the day.  When I was really trying to cut calories, I used egg beaters or egg white instead of the whole egg, but being in a weight maintenance mode, I use the whole egg and appreciate the nutrients it supplies.

Heat a medium frying pan over med-high heat, spray with non-stick spray and put down the egg.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.



When the egg is firm enough, flip it over and toss a cup or two of fresh spinach in the pan.




Give it about a minute to start wilting, then add some salsa.  Any type will do, but a good fresh salsa is certainly best.
I choose either to eat this with a piece of high fiber toast with spray butter, or add beans to the pan.  Either way offers 6-7 grams of fiber. The beans have lots of antioxidants too.

When it's all heated through, plate up and eat... or add some sour cream, avocado, and cilantro. If you've left the yolk a little runny, it creates a rich sauce for the dish. 

Delicious!

ps-make sure to have some vitamin C with this- either in the form of an orange, grapefruit or a pill.  It will help your body absorb all those nutrients!

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I might have to make this right now... as this is breakfast time for me at nearly 1pm after a long New Years Eve night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it this morning for breakfast and I think I'm in love!!!!

    ReplyDelete