Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Diet Sabotage! Ginger Cookies


My poor husband.  He's trying to get in shape this year and has been doing so well.  And how do I help out?  By making his favorite soft ginger cookies.  I don't mean to be such a distraction, but my favorite things to create in the kitchen are cookies and candies, and I cleaned house all day long, so I had to unwind somehow.  See? I had no choice.
Sorry honey, I'll give them all away to the neighbors tomorrow.  I promise.


Soft Ginger Cookies

Cream well:
    3/4 cup butter flavor shortening
    1 cup sugar
Add and mix well:
    1/4 cup molasses
Mix with a fork in a small bowl first, then mix into butter/sugar mixture:
    1 egg and 2 Tablespoons water
Sift together, then add:
    2 cups flour (can be white, whole wheat or a combination)
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
    1 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes-24 hours.  This allows the flour to completely hydrate so you have a soft and beautiful cookie.  Shape into 1 inch balls, roll in sugar (this is optional), and bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes ('til set).  Let cool on the cookie sheet 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack.  Makes 40 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment